Wednesday

Chocolates for your Dog Health - A big NO NO


They say that chocolates are symbols for love, but certainly not when it comes to your dog health. Most dog lovers are aware that chocolate should not be given to pets particularly your pet dog. Dogs are receptive to a chemical called methylxanthines and unfortunately the compound theobromine found in chocolates is members of that family. Although it is fairly safe in humans, dogs are having difficulty if not unable to digest theobromine at all. Expectantly the dogs system will continue on digesting this substance and in effect poisoning itself instead of eliminating it as waste. That is why the premature manifestation of chocolate poisoning for dogs includes but not limited to diarrhea, vomiting, hyperactivity, dehydration and restlessness. The effect on dog's heart is the most decisive because it can cause rapid heartbeat and abnormal breathing rate and eventually can cause death.


Dog lovers should be aware that even though the severity of chocolate poisoning depends on the type of chocolate or the amount eaten, it nevertheless contains the same chemical harmful to your dog health. Although it’s of equal importance to know the toxic dosage amounts and the type of chocolate because it can be of help in determining what proper treatment or medicine your veterinarian should administer. Dark chocolates or chocolates high in cocoa is the most fatal of all the types, while white chocolate has the lesser amount of theobromine and therefore not as harmful as the former.

Dog lovers should take heed on their dog health if they suspect that their dog has eaten chocolates in anyway. Even if early signs of poisoning are palpable, most of these symptoms will appear at a snail's pace and can take 3 days to completely manifest. So by the time you assimilate that there is a threat to your dog health, it will be too late. So do not wait for this to happen, be sure to bring your dog to the nearest animal hospital and have it diagnosed for possible poisoning. Whatever the result are, you’ll be glad that you brought your adored pet in the vet. If you have discovered intake within 2 hours or less it will be helpful if you can simply induce vomiting while preparing to take him to the vet for further treatment and possible admission.

It is our inmost interest to endow with the best things for our treasured pet but sometimes we should keep in mind that what they want are not essentially they justly needed.


[get this widget]

1 comment:

Rosie said...

There are so many common things around the home that are dangerous to our dogs! Easter is a bad time for chocolate poisoning. Fortunately I love chocolate so there's none left for my dogs!!

www.dogpoisonsinthehome.com

ss_blog_claim=a1fff506c9d4b5943c1d5706a5d70fdc